After six years of waiting, Worlds 2022 is back in NA and the schedule is finally revealed.
The last time the main event in the League of Legends calendar was held in NA was the year 2016 when SK Telecom T1 bested Samsung Galaxy in five games. In late November 2022, Riot informed the fans the Worlds would be coming back, not just to the USA, but to North America as a whole. The planned event would take place across three countries, Mexico, Canada, and USA.
Unfortunately, the plans had to change as the Canada portion of the event had to be moved to Atlanta, due to some expected visa issues players could’ve experienced. The semifinals originally scheduled to be held in Scotia Bank Arena in Toronto was moved to the State Farm Arena, the home of the Atlanta Hawks.
The tournament will start on September 29 with the play-in stage that will be played in Mexico City. Then it will move to the US and the Grand Finals will eventually be played in San Fransisco on November 5. The full schedule is:
- Play-Ins: September 29-October 4 at the Arena Esports Stadium at Artz Pedregal in Mexico City, Mexico;
- Groups: October 7-10 and October 13-16 at the Hulu Theater in Madison Square Garden in New York City;
- Quarterfinals: October 20-23 at the Hulu Theater in Madison Square Garden in New York City;
- Semifinals: October 29-30 at the State Farm Arena in Atlanta, Georgia;
- Finals: November 5 at Chase Center in San Francisco, California.
— LoL Esports (@lolesports) July 21, 2022
On top of the schedule of the event, we also learned about the seeding that will be used in the event. The stage seedings and the team allocations, twelve Play-in teams and twelve automatically qualified teams, will be the same as last year, with the only exception of the LCL slot going to the LEC. The League of Legends Continental League is the CIS regional league, which had been canceled in the middle of its Spring 2022 split due to the ongoing conflict in Ukraine. With the Summer Split also not being played, one extra European representative will be going to Worlds 2022. The criteria for the choice is the region with the best international performances in the last two years, without already having four seeds.
- China (LPL) – 4th Seed
- Korea (LCK) – 4th Seed
- Europe (LEC) – 3rd and 4th Seed
- North America (LCS) – 3rd Seed
- Southeast Asia (PCS) – 2nd Seed
- Vietnam (VCS) – 2nd Seed
- Brazil (CBLOL) – 1st Seed
- Japan (LJL) – 1st Seed
- Latin America (LLA) – 1st Seed
- Oceania (LCO) -1st Seed
- Turkey (TCL) – 1st Seed
Group Stage Teams
- China (LPL) – 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Seeds
- Korea (LCK) – 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Seeds
- Europe (LEC) – 1st and 2nd Seeds
- North America (LCS) – 1st and 2nd Seeds
- Southeast Asia (PCS) – 1st Seed
- Vietnam (VCS) – 1st Seed
- Four teams qualified from the Play-ins
There hasn’t been any information on when the tickets will be available to fans, but it is expected Riot will make an announcement about it in the upcoming weeks.
For more news about the Worlds 2022 and more, follow us on ESTNN.